Friday, January 12, 2018

Reflection (the best one)

As I look back upon my first semester of senior, I cogitate what could have been, what has been, and what will be. In Mrs. Starne's Small Business Startup class, for example, Kevin and I created a business that has the potential to change the doggie world. My contributions to this business include my physical additions such as a lot of the writing and planning, as well as my vast knowledge of the doggie door "game" I have bestowed among my peers. In this class, I have learned a lot more about business then just doors. I have learned to acknowledge (but not fully accept) the fact that people are willing to fund business ideas out of the kindnesses of their hearts without getting anything in return except for the satisfaction of helping people, which is something that, if the opportunity presents itself, I will take full advantage of in various aspects of my life. Although that is probably the most surprising and important thing I have learned in this class, it is not the only thing. I have learned a lot about business strategy and what it takes to actually start a business, which is a very good thing to know because it seems like a lot of people go in without any knowledge of how to actually get a business going. Something that I learned about myself that was pointed out to me by Mrs. Starnes is that I have a surprisingly cynical approach to the notion of people spending money out of the kindness of their hearts, but I am working on fixing that through my own personal experiments.  My future plans as a result of this class is, of course, to take the follow-up class to this class: Social Entrepreneurship.

No comments: